Support and Counseling

Counseling in the area of adoption and permanency can take many forms and is a specialty that is relatively rare among human service providers. A provider may be a psychiatrist, psychologist, licensed clinical social worker (LCSW), marriage and family therapist (MFT), a licensed adoption agency, or even a minister or other faith-based counselor. Of most importance is the extent of knowledge that person has in the field of adoption practice in general, and your specific situation and needs in particular.

For some excellent advice and guidance regarding selecting a therapist for your child and family, please read this Factsheet from the Child Welfare Information Gateway.

We recommend interviewing at least two and preferably three providers to find what you believe will be the best fit.To find a therapist near your area go to "Find a Therapist" on the "Support" menu on the left, or click here.